Thursday, July 26

Sweet, Salty, and a Wee Bit Spicy

They're also highly addictive.

Pepitas.

Know where they come from?


Yup, pumpkins.  I love pumpkins.  I also love the pumpkin seed kernels (aka pepitas)!  :o)

Yum.

I was going to post a dinner recipe I've made twice in the last month and REALLY like, but I'm sleepy, so I thought a nice short and sweet post would be a better idea.  :o)

Sweet, Salty, & Spicy Pepitas

  • 2 c. pepitas (raw)
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 T honey (or maple syrup)
  • 1-2 T brown sugar or sucanat 
  • 1 t cinnamon 
  • cayenne pepper (a dash or two, unless you really like spicy!)
  • nutmeg (just a dash)
  • 1/2 t sea salt (modify to taste)
Um, you may want to double the recipe while you're at it.  Seems like if you put them in a mason jar on your kitchen counter, they'll disappear pretty gosh darn quickly.  ;o)  



Quick How-To:

  1. Preheat oven to 400*F
  2. Combine all but sugar, and mix in a bowl.
  3. Mix coated pepitas with sugar, then spread out on parchment lined baking tray
  4. Roast for about 15 minutes, stirring every 5.  After the 12 minute mark, keep an eye on them so they don't burn!
  5. Scrape up a bit with spatula, then let them cool down.


They're awesome by themselves, in a salad, as a garnish, and I'm sure other ways I haven't thought of yet.  :o)  [just had a thought - if you made these sans cayenne, they'd be delicious in oatmeal...]  Oh, and I'd recommend storing them in an airtight container, such as a mason jar, because if left out, they'll loose their crunch.  :o)

Since I like ending blog posts with pictures...

Rudder went hiking today (although this picture is from yesterday)
On my bike ride today to volunteer @ Forget Me Nots.  Pretttttttty!
Today @ Forget Me Nots, I ended up getting a bit painted.  Good thing its washable! ;o)


No comments:

Post a Comment