Tuesday, July 3

Strawberry Biscuits

I originally saw this recipe on Smitten Kitchen and thought it looked deeeeeeeelicious!  I of course am unable to follow a recipe, so I changed it a bit.  :o)



Strawberry Biscuits
adapted from Smitten Kitchen

  • 2 1/4 c. flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
  • 1 T baking powder
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 6 T unsalted butter, cold & cubed
  • 1 c. ripe strawberries, chopped
  • 1/2 c. plain Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 c. soy milk

In the Smitten Kitchen recipe, she used 1 cup of heavy cream, thus making it Strawberries & Cream Biscuits.  I never have heavy cream though, and wanted to try to make it a bit healthier, thus the Greek yogurt and soy milk.  :o)

First things first, chop up your strawberries to nice chunks.  I quartered medium sized strawberries.  While you're at it, go ahead and preheat the oven to 425*F.


In a large bowl, mix your dry ingredients together.


Chop up COLD butter into small cubes.


 Then add into the dry ingredient mixture.  Here's where a pastry blender would have been super nice, however, a potato masher will do.  :o)


GENTLY mix in strawberries.


Here's where you have a decision to make.  Go with heavy cream, or mix up a yogurty-soybstitute.  Get it soybstitute instead substitute??  Oh I crack myself up... ;o)


If you do the yogurt-soy milk mix, then mix it up together before adding it to the mixture.


Slowly fold it into the dough.


Use your hands to gently form into a large bowl.  Be gentle!  You want to handle this as little as possible.


Flatten out, via hand or rolling method, on a WELL floured surface.


Sprinkle some more flour on top, and either use a round cookie/biscuit cutter, or use a glass as a template for cutting.


They should be around 1/2".


You can use the left over dough, reshape, roll out, and then re-cut, until you're all out of dough.


Bake at 425*F for 12-15 minutes on parchment paper.  I ended up throwing on some chunky raw Maui sugar I had.  My mom used to put it on top of muffins, and it was delicious, so I decided to give it a whirl on these guys.

It was a good decision.  :o)


I had one with some rhubarb "compote" and frozen vanilla Greek yogurt.  Like a reconstructed strawberry shortcake.  :o)


I may or may not have eaten 3 of these that night.  Who needs to eat a real dinner anyways when there are strawberry biscuits fresh from the oven?? :op



No comments:

Post a Comment