Monday, July 2

Fragaria

The first week of July will be a tribute to....



Strawberries!

Why?

Well, to me strawberries just scream summer, they are deeeeeelicious, CLOSE to coming to farmer's markets in Alaska, and well, I have a week's worth of strawberry recipes to share.  :o)

I thought I was being all kinds of creative coming up with this idea.  Gotta tell ya, googling your "innovative" idea really squashes that feeling of creative genius.  Turns out a few other people had the same brilliant idea.  Ohhhhhhhhhhh well!  I did find a recipe and tweaked it to make it mine.  :o)

Strawberry-Rhubarb Basil Ice "Cream"
adapted from: Petite Kitchenesse


  • 2 c. of rhubarb, chopped
  • 2 c. of strawberries, halved
  • 1 lemon, zest and juice
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 4 large basil leaves
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 2 c. of Greek yogurt (I used fat free)
  • 1/2 c. whipping cream
  • 1/2 c. unsweetened almond milk
It really ends up being more of a frozen yogurt/sherbet than an ice cream...  I wanted to healthify it a bit, but if you want the creamy goodness of ice cream, you can substitute the Greek yogurt with 2 c. of heavy cream, and the 1/2 c. of whipping cream and 1/2 c. of almond milk with 1 c. of milk.


First things first.  Go buy your rhubarb at the Farmer's Market (if like me, you didn't have rhubarb ready for harvesting) from the cutest old farmer in overalls that you can find.  

 **Pardon the night time pictures... the lighting in my parents' kitchen at night is less then awesome for photography!



Chop up [approximately... cause you know I like approximates!] 2 cups of each.


Then add the zest and juice of one lemon to the mix.


Stick it in an oven-friendly dish and bake for 15-20 minutes at 400* F.



Enjoy the amazing smell permeating your kitchen.  Ah roasted strawberries and rhubarb...



Get 4 large basil leaves (and if you're feeling basil'y grab two more small guys while you're out there)


And throw them in the food processor with the roasted strawberry/rhubarb/lemon mix.  Process it up!


Now, here you can use a fine mesh strainer if you like.  I myself prefer to go with it as is.  Less dishes ya know.  ;o)

Measure out your sugar and vanilla.


Then combine it with your aforementioned processes strawberry/rhubarb/lemon/basil mix over medium-low heat.  Heat it up for a little bit, making sure the sugar is dissolved.  Depending on the level of tartness you prefer, you may want to add a tablespoon or two more of sugar to cut the tartness.


Next add in your Greek yogurt, almond milk, and whipping cream, and stir together in a large bowl.


Chill the mix in the bowl (covered) overnight.

Next day, into the ice cream maker it goes!  This is a good time to taste test the mix and make sure it's the level of tartness ya like.  :o)


When the whole ice cream making process is all said and done... you have some delicious icebert! (yes, its the happy marriage of ice cream and sherbet.  I threw the r in there because I like it and when I say sherbet, I say is sherbeRt).


Mmmmmm....

 
Oh, and I'm pretty sure shortbread would be AWESOME with this.  Just a suggestion.  :o)

2 comments:

  1. That looks really good! I really wish we had an ice cream maker. I never thought about roasting strawberries and rhubarb before, I have soooo much rhubarb right now, I think I'll have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might make for a good smoothie of sorts too! Well, as a smoothie I may cut back on the sugar a bit! :o)

    I'm going to post a Rhubarb Mojito recipe today. I love love love rhubarb! Have fun putting it to use! :o)

    ReplyDelete