Sunday, July 29

Carrot Hummus

No, not just carrots dipped in hummus, but hummus MADE of carrots!

I have quite a few carrots on my hands at the moment...  I have some white ones from Full Circle, orange ones from Full Circle, and some orange and purple ones with character from Sarah's garden. I like carrots, and I LOVE carrot cake (did you know that carrot cake with cream cheese, or goat cheese, frosting, and hold the raisins, is my favorite??).  I didn't want to make oodles of carrot cakesque food though.  I'd eat it all by myself!  So, I turned to the interwebs and found a recipe for a Moroccan Carrot Hummus on Arctic Garden Studio.  Cool thing is, the blogger is from Fairbanks!  So, like usual, I had trouble following a recipe to a tee, but found her recipe to be a great jumping off point! :o)

Carrot Hummus
  • 4 medium carrots, washed and sliced
  • 1 t cumin
  • 1/4 t coriander
  • 1/8 t (or so?) cayenne pepper
  • 2 t olive oil
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 can (14 oz) chickpeas. drained and rinsed
  • 1 T almond butter
  • 2 t lemon juice

Since I've had the white carrots the longest, they were the lucky winners for hummus making. :o)


Chop them up.  No need to peel, just make sure you wash them well!


In a small bowl, combine cumin, coriander, cayenne, salt, and pepper.


In the original recipe, she used harissa, but I don't have that, so I substituted these instead.


Next, put in the olive oil, then mix it up so that all the carrots are coated with oil and spices.


Lightly spray a pan, then place carrots on it in a single layer.  Bake at 400*F for 35 minutes.


While they're baking, get everything else in the food processor.


See!  This time I wrote down what I was putting in with my guesstimates for amount of ingredients!  That way I can be somewhat more accurate when writing down a recipe on here  :o)

[Yes, that is the back of a special education meeting agenda with a normal curve and IQ scores on it... I like to recycle paper around here ;o) ]


Mmm!  Nice and roasted!


Combine everything together in the food processor and let it go!  At this stage, you can add more olive oil to the mix if you'd like it a bit thinner.  I myself like a thick hummus, so I just put in a small drizzle.


Easy peasy, no?

I had it with cucumbers, orange peppers, and pita chips for dinner.


Some feta cheese on top of the hummus for a little extra deliciousness.  :o)


Rudder and I painted the guest room today.  Well, I painted, Rudder was on paint removal duty apparently. He was going for the gray beard (and ear, and leg, and butt?) look it seems.  Silly puppy!  Hopefully I'll get that room put back together in the next few days and can show a "in progress but slightly closer to done" picture with the new wall color.  :o)


No comments:

Post a Comment