Tuesday, June 5

Tofu Tuesday - Put the Lime in the Coconut

Put the lime in the coconut, then you feel better.

It's true.  You'll feel better.  :o)

Today's Tofu Tuesday combines some yummy lime zest and crispy coconut.  The idea behind this recipe is to be a tofu version of the oh so delicious coconut shrimp/chicken dinners, but healthier.  :o)  I added the lime bit because once upon a time I made a coconut lime rice pudding and loved it (I wonder if I wrote that recipe down somewhere...), so I figured some lime would be a yummy addition to the coconut goodness! :o)

Alright, lets get down to the tofu:

Crispy Coconut Lime Tofu

  • 1 block of extra firm tofu, drained
  • zest from one lime
  • juice from said zested lime
  • splash of rice vinegar and olive oil
  • 1/2 c. panko breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 c. shredded coconut
  • 2 egg whites

Yup.  That's all!




Now, here's the how to:

Make your "marinade" for your tofu from the lime zest, lime juice, and add a splash of both rice vinegar and olive oil.  Stir around so it is mixed up a bit.


Let your tofu marinate for 20-30 minutes.  I occupied myself with an outdoor project while the tofu blocks (oh yeah, you'll want to cut up your tofu into cubes, strips, triangles, or whatever geometric shape you fancy)  marinated.  Anyone else remember when "I'm marinating" was the "cool" thing to say when you were just "chilling."  I don't think I ever caught on to that phrase, but I sure remember hearing it!


Mix together your panko bread crumbs and coconut in a shallow bowl.


Separate two eggs into another bowl.


Dip little tofu bits from the lime marinade into the egg, then into the breading.  Coat all sides.

Place on a lightly sprayed cooking sheet in an oven (preheat to 375*F) for about 25-30 minutes.  Again, it's best if you flip them halfway through, but when I made little cubes like this, the idea of flipping each one sounds tedious, so I don't.  Had I made tofu planks, then I would have taken them time to flip them.


Let them cool just a bit (or you'll burn your tongue...).  I decided to make a watered down version of peanut sauce for dipping.  I think some kind of spicy fruity dipping sauce would be good too!


I had good intentions of making a meal of this, but it was past 9 by the time I got around to eating (I kinda forget how late it gets when its light for so long - yay!).  I did use the leftovers on a spinach salad though, and it was good! :o)  Oooh, it would have been even better had I added tangerine slices on the salad...  Hmmm, a thought for next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment