Tuesday, April 10

Tofu Tuesday & a Tour

So I had my third night of eating tofu on a Tuesday, and I'm kind of liking the idea.

LAST Tuesday I had my FAVORITE [to date] tofu recipe!  Thai Tofu Pizza!!!  Nummmmmmm!

I saw a recipe for a Thai tofu pizza on Iowa Girl Eats [fun site by the way] and modified it a bit.

Here's what I did:

Monday night I made some dough for the pizza.  I used a recipe from the Artisan Pizza and Flatbread in 5 Minutes to make the Naan dough.







 I let it rise and do all of it's doughy goodness, then stuck it in the fridge before I headed to bed.



Tuesday after work, it was pizza time.



What's in it:
  • 1 block extra firm tofu, pressed and crumbled
  • 1 cup [or so] mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup sprouts
  • 2 sliced green onions
  • 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1/3 cup diced pineapple
  • 2 Tablespoons chopped peanuts
  • Handful chopped cilantro
  • Shredded carrots (I forgot these, but you should include these!  I will next time for sure!)
  • Peanut Sauce
If you don't have a jar of peanut sauce, you can make your own! [which is what I did, and I actually recommend.  You can make it SLIGHTLY healthier this way!]

Peanut Sauce:
  • 4 Tablespoons smooth peanut butter
  • 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
  • 1 Tablespoon soy sauce (in the future I'd cut this down to maybe 1-2 tsp)
  • 1 Tablespoon water
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon oil
  • 1 teaspoon Sriracha
  • 1 teaspoon agave nectar
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Make the peanut sauce by mixing all the ingredients until smooth.


Alrighty, and here's the how to for the rest of the pizza:

Preheat oven to 400*F (or whatever your pizza dough calls for).

Crumble tofu into a pan and add a dollop of the peanut sauce.  Mix and heat over medium.

Per your pizza recipe, make your pizza crust. [This was Kevin's job] :o)

Chop up your various ingredients for the pizza.  The Iowa Girl recipe called for mango, but I had pineapple I had just cut the day before, so I decided to use that instead. 

 Spread the rest of your peanut sauce across the dough.  Layer on tofu, red onions, cheese, green onions, and pineapple.

If you're using your pizza stone (I love mine), slide that sucker into the oven.  I had Kevin take a picture of the slide (I know, blurry, but it was moving that pizza around on the "peel" like nothing else) because this is the FIRST time I have SUCCESSFULLY had a pizza go from my makeshift pizza peel to the hot pizza stone without a total disaster.  I was probably more excited than one should be about getting pizza into an oven without having to turn it into a calzone...  Let's just say there was an awful lot of cornmeal involved this time... 

Ingredients waiting to go on the pizza once it's done baking (not sure about the cook time, check your dough directions and go with the golden crust/golden cheese tell) - Sprouts, Cilantro, Peanuts

Admire the mess you made in a previously clean kitchen while the pizza bakes.  Maybe clean it up if you feel so inspired. :op

Voila!  Pizza!  Ohmigoodness it was DELICIOUS!  So so so so so good!  Even Kevin (who still isn't 100% sold on this Tofu Tuesday business) loved it!  I had the leftovers of the pizza for lunch the next two days.  :o)

One of the best things?  If you have a lot of the basic ingredients, it's pretty stinkin' cheap to make.

This recipe is a keeper for sure.  :o)



Now for a mini tour of mi casa.  I started this blog with the intention of posting my house in progress pictures...  Annnnnnnnnd I keep making food instead of painting.  There are little things here and there going on with the house, but house renovation has slowed down a bit over here.  I told my Aunt that I'd put some pictures up since they live in PA and haven't seen the house, so here they are!  [Bedroom upstairs is excluded because it is a DISASTER zone of laundry at the moment...]

Living Room/Entry

From the front door.  Some day I'll get adult furniture...

Piannnnnnnno!
Looking down the hall.  Bathroom on left, Washer/Dryer behind curtain, closet, and two bedrooms.
Still needs to be spiffed up, but I like it at the bottom of my stairs...  Thanks for letting me borrow it Mom!
love love love my old books!

Downstairs Bathroom - on the "spiff up" list (but what in the house isn't!)



Downstairs bedroom (and currently bike holding room)

Kitchen built-ins & table (Eventually I'll get that molding up on the top...)


Other side of the kitchen (still have some painting to do with the cabinets)

View into Living Room (I'd kinda like to knock out half of the wall to the left and make it a breakfast bar)
Chalkboard I made for the kitchen (from a wonderfully 90's framed print).  Has some of my "to do" list.

 Well there is a mini tour!  The disaster rooms weren't included.  I think once I have a shed to put all of the tools, scrap wood, etc. things will be better.  :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment