Wednesday, April 11

It's Not Easy Being Green

But green is the color of Spring
And green can be cool and friendly-like
And green can be big like an ocean, or important
Like a mountain, or tall like a tree.

Nope.  Not turning into Kermit the Frog on ya.  I have however, been making lots of GREEN things.  I figured I'd just share some of the green-ness in my life (especially since I got some of the, "Um, Krista, what is that you're eating??" today at work).  :op


Green Thing #1: Green Smoothies!

I'd seen them before, but wasn't willing to try them just yet.  Then Iowa Girl Eats convinced me that I should just give it a whirl.  So I did.  I've been adding spinach to [most of] my smoothies ever since.  :o)

Starring:
  • Frozen pineapple
  • Carrot juice
  • Mango-peach juice
  • Plain Greek yogurt
  • Vanilla whey protein
  • and the star of the show... SPINACH!

Blend.

Drink.  Devour.


Green Thing #2: Mango & Eggplant Salad

Tossed together:
  • Salad greens of the dark and leafy variety
  • Cubed fresh mango
  • Eggplant, grilled
  • Feta Cheese
  • Green Onion
  • Red Pepper
  • Chia Seeds
  • Dressing
I made my dressing from lime juice, rice vinegar, olive oil, sriracha, maple syrup (just a smidge), chopped cilantro, a bit of basil, and pepper.

Chopped up some fresh mango.  Yum yum yum!

Eggplant, sliced and tossed with some olive oil and salt (I used a trusty ole sandwich bag).

Put the eggplant on the grill.  Enjoy the mountain views (even though its a bit of a drizzly "spring" day - look at that melting snow!  Woohoo!)

Put all the cold fixings for the salad in your bowls.

Add the eggplant after it has a chance to cool a bit from the grill.  Pour dressing.  Enjoy!



Green Thing #3: Lavender Pea Hummus

Yes really.  Lavender + Peas = Hummus.   Saw it on Kath Eats Real Food I wasn't sold on it at first, but it grew on me, and I couldn't wait to munch on it for lunch!  :o)

This one is SUPER easy!

Blend together:
  • 1c. frozen peas, thawed (I just ran some warm water over them while in the colander)
  • 2 T of almond butter
  • Handful of cilantro
  • Dash of salt
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 T dried lavender buds
Peas pre-thaw.

Put everything in the blender.

Enjoy!  I had mine with hummus chips.  Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!


Pretty delicious stuff I must say.  You may get some strange looks from co-workers about your excessive amount of green foods, but trust me, the deliciousness of it all is well worth it.  :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment