Monday, April 2

Introducing Tofu Tuesday!

Yes, tofu.

So, the last time I intentionally ate a piece of tofu was probably in 4th grade at Stacy Sasaki's house...  I know I've had bits and pieces in pad thai... but my last "big chunk of tofu" experience was nose-scrunch-inducing enough that I steered clear. 


However...

I know I rarely consume enough protein in my life.  Mostly because meat can be pricey to buy and I never seem to go through it fast enough, and despite my best freezing efforts, ends up looking freezer burnt enough to have been left overs from the ice age...  Tofu however, is a cheaper protein option [and healthier than my peanut butter protein fix of days past].  So, I've decided I'm going to try a different tofu-incorporated dinner every Tuesday for a while.  Well, I'm going to TRY to try anyways.  :o)



source


So for the first Tofu Tuesday, I'd like to introduce my most frequently pinned (439 pins and 35 likes to be exact) tofu recipe:
"The Perfect Baked Tofu"





I (as usual) didn't EXACTLY follow the recipe, but used it for some strong guidance since I've never cooked (or bought for that matter) this stuff.
Ingredients:
  • 1 block extra firm tofu
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3'ish tablespoons honey
  • 3'ish teaspoons of cajun/creole seasoning (salt free)
  • 1'ish teaspoon of cinnamon
  • a little extra black pepper taste
  • 1 tablespoon sesame seeds

The How To:  

 Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 


Press excess liquid from tofu.  Wrap several paper towels around tofu, and place tofu in between two plates (or a pizza stone... I figured it was heavier and just might squeeze out more water).  Let stand for 15 or so minutes.

Cut tofu in 1 inch by 1 inch pieces.

In a small, microwave-safe bowl, mix all other ingredients (EXCEPT the sesame seeds). 

Microwave marinade for 35 seconds and stir thoroughly. 
 
Spray cooking sheet. 

Coat each piece of tofu in marinade and place on cooking sheet. 

Sprinkle sesame seeds on top of tofu. 
[oops! I got sprinkle happy and did this during the marinating... seemed to work ok though!]

Cook at 375 for 30 minutes, turning once. 
Stuck it in the oven with the Mahi (so I think it soaked up some of the juices too...)
 
So we were kind of hungry, soooooo I didn't take a picture... but we mixed the tofu in with this whole grain barley/quinoa/cranberry/something or other as a side to the mahi.  It was good!  Only thing I think I would have done differently is make sure I did a better job flipping the tofu, and kept it away from all of the fish marinade.  It was tasty, but a bit squishy with all the liquid on the pan.

And good news is, you can save the tofu and use it in other things, like a salad!

So that was last week's Tofu Tuesday recipe.  I'm trying a different tofu recipe tomorrow, and am kind of excited about it.  Hint: there are sprouts involved!  It'll be up [hopefully] next Tuesday! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment